Ensuring Our Maine Veterans Receive the Care and Respect They Have Earned and Deserve from a Grateful Nation
Our Veterans have earned our respect and deserve the care they were promised and they deserve.
As a Member of the powerful Veterans Affairs Committee in the United States House of Representatives, I am a strong voice for Maine’s Veterans.
I will never forget those who have sacrificed their time, talents – and in some cases their lives – to defend our freedom. That’s why I have taken these steps and more:
• Working to create and expand health care options for Veterans closer to home so they can avoid traveling long distances for every appointment or procedure. While there is still much more to be done, Maine is helping lead the way in implement these new programs.
• Creating a Maine Veterans Advisory Panel made up of Veterans from all over Maine’s 2nd Congressional District to provide direct feedback on issues and problems facing our Veterans.
• Holding VA officials accountable for medical errors which occurred at Togus.
• Introducing legislation to require VA Medical professionals report errors and problems directly to state licensing boards.
• Supporting our Veterans who are also Native Americans by allowing government headstones to be placed at tribal cemeteries, like the one in Aroostook County, through Legislation he has authored in the House.
• Working to increase the number of VA Health Clinics in Maine.
• Voting in support of the VA Accountability bill which makes improvements in the VA.
• Supporting funding increases for the Veterans Administration.
• Joining the Military Veterans Caucus in Congress to work across party lines to fight for Veterans issues.
• Fighting staff shortages in Maine, including those at the Lewiston Vets Center so our Veterans get the care they need.
• Working daily with a dedicated staff to serve the needs of Veterans throughout the 2nd District who bring their problems to the Congressman’s attention.
I know we would not have the nation we have today without our Veterans. I will work to never, ever let them down.